Connecticut HEAP

What is Connecticut HEAP/LIHEAP? – Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Connecticut LIHEAP is also called Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP).

HEAP is a federally funded program that issues heating benefits to supplement a household’s annual energy cost. HEAP program was started in 1981 and is funded by federal government. HEAP also offers an emergency benefit for households in a heat or heat related energy emergency. Additionally, HEAP offers a heating equipment repair and/or replacement benefit for homeowners with inoperable heating equipment.

HEAP may help you pay for Electricity, Propane, Natural Gas, Wood, Oil, Kerosene, Coal, or any other heating fuel.

Do You Qualify for HEAP Connecticut?

To qualify for Connecticut HEAP, you must be enrolled in a qualifying social service program (see below):

  • Must be a resident of the state of Connecticut
  • Must need financial assistance for home energy costs
  • You receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps) benefits or
  • You receive Temporary Assistance or
  • You receive Code A Supplemental Security Income (SSI Living Alone)
  • OR your income must be below 150% of the federal poverty guidelines.

Applications for regular HEAP benefits will be accepted beginning around November of the year.

How to apply for Connecticut LIHEAP

To apply, please contact your local Community Action Agency.

Program Contact Information

Visit the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program website to learn more.
For detailed information on LIHEAP assistance, please contact your:

Community Action Agencies:

  • The Community Action Agency of Western Connecticut, Inc. (203) 748-5422
  • New Opportunities, Inc. (Waterbury area) (203) 756-8151; (Meriden area) (203) 235-0278
  • Bristol Community Organization, Inc. (860) 582-7490
  • Human Resources Agency of New Britain, Inc. (860) 225-1084
  • Community Renewal Team, Inc. (Hartford area) (860) 560-5800 or 1-800-798-3805; (Middletown area) (860) 347-4465 ext.223 or 224
  • The Access Community Action Agency (Willimantic) – (860) 450-7423; (Danielson) (860) 774-0418
  • Thames Valley Council for Community Action, Inc. (Norwich-New London area) (860) 425-6681
  • Community Action Agency of New Haven, Inc. (203) 387-7700
  • TEAM, Inc. (Derby-Ansonia-Shelton area) (203) 736-5420
  • Action for Bridgeport Community Development, Inc. (Bridgeport area) (203) 384-6904; (also covering Norwalk/Stamford areas; phone contact number to be announced).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *