What is Mississippi HEAP/LIHEAP? – Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
HEAP is a federally funded program that issues heating benefits to supplement a household’s annual energy cost. HEAP program was started in 1981 and is funded by federal government. HEAP also offers an emergency benefit for households in a heat or heat related energy emergency. Additionally, HEAP offers a heating equipment repair and/or replacement benefit for homeowners with inoperable heating equipment.
HEAP may help you pay for Electricity, Propane, Natural Gas, Wood, Oil, Kerosene, Coal, or any other heating fuel.
Do You Qualify for HEAP Mississippi?
To qualify for Mississippi HEAP, you must be enrolled in a qualifying social service program (see below):
- Must be a resident of the state of Mississippi
- Must need financial assistance for home energy costs
- You receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps) benefits or
- You receive Temporary Assistance or
- You receive Code A Supplemental Security Income (SSI Living Alone)
- OR your income must be below 150% of the federal poverty guidelines.
Applications for regular HEAP benefits will be accepted beginning around November of each year.
How to apply for Mississippi LIHEAP
Program Contact Information
1-800-421-0762 | 1-601-359-4768
750 North State Street | Jackson, MS 39202