What is Florida HEAP/LIHEAP? – Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
HEAP is a federally funded program that issues heating benefits to supplement a household’s annual energy cost. HEAP program was started in 1981 and is funded by federal government. HEAP also offers an emergency benefit for households in a heat or heat related energy emergency. Additionally, HEAP offers a heating equipment repair and/or replacement benefit for homeowners with inoperable heating equipment.
HEAP may help you pay for Electricity, Propane, Natural Gas, Wood, Oil, Kerosene, Coal, or any other heating fuel.
Do You Qualify for HEAP Florida?
To qualify for Florida HEAP, you must be enrolled in a qualifying social service program (see below):
- Must be a resident of the state of Florida
- Must need financial assistance for home energy costs
- You receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamp) benefits or
- You receive Temporary Assistance or
- You receive Code A Supplemental Security Income (SSI Living Alone)
- OR your income must be below 150% of the federal poverty guidelines.
Applications for regular HEAP benefits will be accepted beginning around November of the year.
How to apply for Florida HEAP
- Visit the Contact Your Local LIHEAP Provider For Help web page.
- You must apply at the appropriate agency within the county in which you live. Look under your county for the name and phone number of that agency.
- Call that agency. These agencies employ caseworkers who are knowledgeable about various programs and who specialize in providing counseling and assistance to citizens. Please be aware that the phone number may be busy:
Florida also provides Weatherization Assistance Program (FloridaWAP) service for those who qualify.
Contact Information on Florida HEAP:
Community Assistance Section
Office of Housing and Community Development
Florida Department of Economic Opportunity
107 East Madison Street, MSC-400
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-4120
TEL: (850) 717-8468
FAX: (850) 488-2488
WEB SITE: www.floridajobs.org/job-seekers-community-services/community-services…
PUBLIC INQUIRIES: 850-717-8450