What is Pennsylvania HEAP/LIHEAP? – Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
HEAP is a federally funded program that issues heating benefits to supplement a household’s annual energy cost. HEAP program was started in 1981 and is funded by federal government. HEAP also offers an emergency benefit for households in a heat or heat related energy emergency. Additionally, HEAP offers a heating equipment repair and/or replacement benefit for homeowners with inoperable heating equipment.
HEAP may help you pay for Electricity, Propane, Natural Gas, Wood, Oil, Kerosene, Coal, or any other heating fuel.
Do You Qualify for HEAP Pennsylvania?
To qualify for Pennsylvania HEAP, you must be enrolled in a qualifying social service program (see below):
- Must be a resident of the state of Pennsylvania
- Must need financial assistance for home energy costs
- You receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamp) benefits or
- You receive Temporary Assistance or
- You receive Code A Supplemental Security Income (SSI Living Alone)
- OR your income must be below 150% of the federal poverty guidelines.
Applications for regular HEAP benefits will be accepted beginning around November of the year.
How to apply for Pennsylvania HEAP
There are three different ways you can apply for LIHEAP, online, on paper, or in person
- You can apply for the LIHEAP benefits online by using COMPASS. COMPASS is the name of the website where you can apply for LIHEAP and many other services that can help you make ends meet.
- Download an application for LIHEAP benefits by clicking on the links below and return it to your local county assistance office, or English- Energy Assistance Application, Spanish-Energy Assistance Application
- File an application at your local county assistance office.
Pennsylvania also provides Weatherization Assistance Program ( Pennsylvania WAP) service for those who qualify.
Contact Information on Pennsylvania HEAP:
Bureau of Policy
Office of Income Maintenance
Department of Public Welfare
P.O. Box 2675
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17105
TEL: (717) 787-4081
FAX: (717) 787-6765
WEB SITE: www.dpw.state.pa.us/foradults/heatingassistanceliheap/index.htm
ONLINE APPLICATION: www.humanservices.state.pa.us/compass/CMHOM.aspx
PUBLIC INQUIRIES: 1-866-857-7095