What is Texas HEAP/LIHEAP? - Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
HEAP is a federally funded program that issues heating benefits to supplement a household’s annual energy cost. HEAP program was started in 1981 and is funded by federal government. HEAP also offers an emergency benefit for households in a heat or heat related energy emergency. Additionally, HEAP offers a heating equipment repair and/or replacement benefit for homeowners with inoperable heating equipment.
Texas HEAP program is also called Texas CEAP Program.
HEAP may help you pay for Electricity, Propane, Natural Gas, Wood, Oil, Kerosene, Coal, or any other heating fuel.
Do You Qualify for HEAP Texas?
To qualify for Texas HEAP, you must be enrolled in a qualifying social service program (see below):
- Must be a resident of the state of Texas
- Must need financial assistance for home energy costs
- You receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamp) benefits or
- You receive Temporary Assistance or
- You receive Code A Supplemental Security Income (SSI Living Alone)
- OR your income must be below 150% of the federal poverty guidelines.
Applications for regular HEAP benefits will be accepted beginning around November of the year.
How to apply for CEAP assistance
If you need assistance with utility bills (CEAP), contact the local CEAP service provider (PDF) nearest you.
- Visit Help for Texans and select Utility Bill Help.
- Call 2-1-1 and the operator will direct you to your local utility assistance service provider.
- From a landline, call toll free at (877) 399-8939 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The toll free number will directly connect you with the CEAP service provider in your county.
Texas also provides Weatherization Assistance Program (Texas WAP) service for those who qualify.
Contact Information on Texas HEAP:
Community Affairs Director
Texas Department of Housing & Community Affairs
P.O. Box 13941
Austin, Texas 78711-3941
TEL: (512) 475-3951
FAX: (512) 475-3935
WEB SITE: http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/community-affairs/index.htm
PUBLIC INQUIRIES: 1-877-399-8939
LITE-UP TEXAS: 1-866-454-8387